Women in Data Science (WiDS)
Women in Data Science (WiDS) is a globally coordinated conference that “aims to inspire and educate data scientists worldwide, regardless of gender, and to support women in the field.'
WiDS is a global movement that includes a number of worldwide initiatives.
The Women in Data Science (WiDS) initiative aims to inspire and educate data scientists worldwide, regardless of gender, and to support women in the field. WiDS started as a one-day technical conference at Stanford in November 2015. Five years later, WiDS is a global movement that includes a number of worldwide initiatives:
- A conference with 200+ regional events worldwide in more than 60 countries, reaching 100,000 participants annually.
- A datathon, encouraging participants to hone their skills using a social impact challenge.
- A podcast series, featuring data science leaders from around the world talking about their work, their journeys, and lessons learned along the way.
- An education outreach program to encourage secondary school students to consider careers in data science, artificial intelligence (AI), and related fields.
- A workshop series to build your data science skills, inspiring women and girls with role model instructors.
Since 2019, the PI and the ISU D4 team has served as Ames ambassadors for the WiDS conference. This event also presents an opportunity for the investigators engaged with the institute to showcase their research results. We also plan to coordinate across our partner institutions that have similar WiDS events to plan a regional event engaging data scientists from Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Ohio.
WiDS Ames is an independent event that is organized by Iowa State University WiDS Ambassadors as part of the annual WiDS Worldwide conference organized by Stanford University and an estimated 150+ locations worldwide, which features outstanding women doing outstanding work in the field of data science. All genders are invited to attend all WiDS Worldwide conference events.
WiDS Conference - 2022
Date: April 21, 2022
Time: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm CST
Location: Zoom (Register to receive link)
ISU WiDS Ambassadors: Adithya Kulkarni, Usman Gohar, Nasim Sabetpour, Eshita Zaman, Akash Dutta, Muskan Tantia, Haniyeh Fekrmandi, Fateme Fotouhi, and Sumon Biswas
Agenda Coming Soon
|Start Time||Event||Speaker||Title of Presentation|
|2:10-2:40||Keynote Speaker||Elizabeth Munch|
|2:40-3:00||Speaker from Academia||Bei Wang|
|3:10-3:30||Speaker from Academia||Yusu Wang|
|3:30-3:50||Speaker from Academia||Qiaomin Xie|
|4:00-4:20||Speaker from Industry||Jennifer Bryson|
|4:20-4:40||Speaker from Industry||Saba Moeinzade|
|4:40-5:00||Speaker from Industry||Yasaman Esfandiari|
This event is supported in part by the Department of Computer Science, the CS Graduate Student Organization, the HDR:TRIPODS D4 (Dependable Data Driven Discovery) Institute and CSAFE: Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensic Evidence